Connection to Country at the Laratinga Wetland, with picnic
- Adult Includes delicious picnic meal option.
- Child (5-12 Years) Includes delicious picnic meal option.
Laratinga Wetland is on the left hand side of Bald Hills Road only 4mins from Mount Barker.
It was constructed in 1999, and is a haven for wildlife and native fauna. Ideal for this very special experience during the Wellness Wander Weekend.
(Lartingga-parri) Wetland was named after the Peramangk meaning for Mount Barker Creek, ‘Flooding Land Creek’. The wetland and surrounds, has become an increasingly important area for locals, visitors and native wildlife.
Bring along your picnic rugs, or chairs for our picnic lunch at the conclusion of the tour. There is a shelter with some seating available.
- On arrival at the carpark follow the short walkway to meet Ivan and myself at the shelter where you will be provided with a cup of Lemon Myrtle tea, probably one of the best-known Australian herbs. Please bring a keeper cup along. Here you can view the 4 airbrushed murals depicting the Permangk people and regional and native fauna prior to the tour commencement.
- Ivan will provide a Welcome to Country and background history to the First Nations People
- Together we’ll take a cultural walk through the wetlands. Easy walking with formed paths suitable for wheelschairs. An authentic glimpse of the relationship between the Peramangk people and the gum trees, reeds, plants, hunting and gathering, and the laws of the Land.
- The wetland is full of indigenous plant species which has encouraged birds to utilise the wetland. Migrating birds utilise the safe island habitats. A food forest for Cockatoos has encouraged Cockatoos including the Yellow Tail Black Cockatoo back to the area. Bring along your binoculars as you may want a better view of some of the wildlife.
- Some history of European settlement will be discussed as well as the construction of the wetland. Mount Barker District Council Environmental Project Officer will be in attendance to share her knowledge with guests.
- We will return to the starting point where Ivan will provide a fascinating demonstration of aboriginal artifacts.
You will then be provided with your delicious picnic lunch. It will be individually packaged by Kitchen 2C. Freshly made and consisting of:
Gourmet wrap using local products, your choice of
- Harris Smoked Salmon with fresh beetroot, cucumber, lettuce and Horseradish Cream
- Skara Hungarian Salami, Cheddar cheese, tomato, caramelised onion, lettuce and roasted garlic aioli
- Udder Delights Brie and roasted vegetables, olive tapenade and lettuce
- House made Apple Yoghurt and Oat Cake
- A bottle of ‘Rock and A Hard Place; sparkling water
- Kitchen 2C Coffee voucher, regular.
Hahndorf Walking Tour Wellness Wander gift pack (Optional) $70.00
- Indigenous print apron (made in Hahndorf) – one size fits all. They may be variations to the apron as they are individual. Limited numbers of indigenous prints so an alternative botanical print will be provided as an alternative.
- Two products from Coco Marie Skin care company, Hahndorf, (locally hand-made, organic, small batch natural and organic skin, bath, and body products)
- Foot balm, 50g – Lavender and Peppermint
- Bath Salt, Foot Soak, 200g – lavender, peppermint, coconut milk, shea butter etc.
- Lavender sachet – locally grown in Hahndorf
- Three Lemon myrtle teabags – locally grown in Hahndorf