Hahndorf’s Connection to Country @ The Cedars, with picnic
- Adult Includes delicious picnic meal option.
- Child (5-12 Years) Includes delicious picnic meal option.
Celebrate the stories of Hahndorf along with Ivan, Elder of the Peramangk and Kaurna people and me, Sharon, local resident and owner/operator of Hahndorf Walking Tours.
Meet in the carpark of The Cedars, only 5mins from the main street of Hahndorf. This was the family home and property of iconic landscape painter and early conservationist Sir Hans Heysen, his wife Sallie and family
• The experience will commence with a cup of Lemon Myrtle tea, probably one of the best-known Australian herbs.
• Ivan will provide a Welcome to Country and background history to the First Nations People
• Together we’ll take a cultural walk through the property. An authentic glimpse of the relationship between the Peramangk people and the gum trees, hunting and gathering, and the laws of the Land.
• On this property there are trees over 600 years old and Heysen was the first Australian painter to focus on eucalyptus trees in their true light and form usually painting trees on his own property
• An overview of the relationship between the early settlers and the reason why the Prussians came to this area and settled in this valley where the Peramangk people had lived for thousands of years
• Ivan will also provide a fascinating demonstration of aboriginal artifacts
• We will return to the starting point where you will receive your delicious picnic lunch freshly made from local produce by Kitchen 2C.
Picnic lunch consists of:
Gourmet wrap using local products, your choice of
• Harris Smoked Salmon with fresh beetroot, cucumber, lettuce and Horseradish Cream
• Skara Hungarian Salami, Cheddar cheese, tomato, caramelised onion, lettuce and roasted garlic aioli.
• Udder Delights Brie and roasted vegetables, olive tapenade and lettuce
• House made Apple Yoghurt and Oat Cake
• A bottle of ‘Rock and A Hard Place; sparkling water
• Kitchen 2C Coffee voucher, regular. Additional cost for upsizing or alternative milks.
You will need to wear sensible shoes, appropriate clothing, hat and sunscreen. There is a 200m incline at the start of the tour which is not suitable for wheelchairs
Bring a rug or chair to ensure your comfort when picnicking.
Tour does not include access to Heysen house or studio but you are welcome to visit the office and pay an entrance fee to those historic sites and/or join the volunteer lead tour at 2pm. It is suggested you book ahead.
Hahndorf Walking Tour Wellness Wander gift pack (Optional) $70.00
• Indigenous print apron (made in Hahndorf) – one size fits all. They may be variations to the apron as they are individual. Limited numbers of indigenous prints so an alternative print will be provided if these are exhausted.
• Two products from Coco Marie (locally hand-made, small batch natural and organic skin, bath, and body products)
-Foot balm, 50g – Lavender and Peppermint
-Bath Salt, Foot Soak, 200g
• Lavender sachet – locally grown in Hahndorf
• Lemon myrtle tea (3 teabags) – locally grown in Hahndorf